I love making creations that are surprising healthy. One of these is this breakfast cake, full of fruit, oats, nuts… and not alot of added sugar! Not only is it healthy and moist, but it tastes delicious, too… In fact, its good enough for dessert.
- 1/4 cup White Rice Flour
- 1/4 cup Almond Meal/Flour
- 1/4 cup Tapioca Starch (Flour)
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 cup Sorghum Flour
- 1/2 cup gluten free oats, plus 1 tablespoon for topping
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Xanthan Gum
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, plus 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon for topping
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup pitted dates (soaked in water to plump, then mashed in food processor.)
- 1/2 cup walnuts, ground
- 1/2 cup fresh blueberries
- 3 bananas, mashed
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon honey
- Preheat oven to 350º
- Combine flours, 1/2 cup oats, salt, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder and xanthan gum with a whisk in a bowl.
- In a mixer, combine mashed banana, pitted and soaked dates, walnuts and oil.
- Add the flour mix to the mashed fruit in the mixing bowl. Blend at low speed until all ingredients are well-combined.
- Add washed and dried blueberries to the mixture and stir by hand.
- Spray a 9″ roundpan with non-stick spray and pour batter in the pan. (Will be thick!)
- In a small dish, combine the reserved 1 tbls. oats, 1/2 tsp. cinnamon, honey, and 1 teaspoon brown sugar. Crumble this topping over top of the batter in the pan.
- Bake at 350º for 1 hour or until toothpick comes out clean in center.
- Cool, cut, and serve.Refrigerate the leftover cake pieces. (If you have any!)